Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Curious Developments in Russia



Many of you who are familiar with our family know that my husband is full-blooded Russian. Although my mother-in-law would dispute that, claiming he is half Russian with the other bigger half being Ukrainian. However, Ukraine was a part of the Soviet Union even after Dave was born so I stick with full-blooded!

That said, the love of my life having such a heritage has awakened in me great curiosity and interest in the land of his ancestors. I follow the news headlines via BBC, Associated Press and the like to find out the latest reports in the former USSR.

Most recently we've heard of Putin's constitutional obligation to step down after a second term, which will take place in March of '08. His appointed successor, Dmitry Medvedev, was quoted Tuesday on television saying, "I appeal to [President Putin] with a request to give his agreement in principle to head the Russian government after the election of the new president." To an American this seems to make little sense. Election and appointment are two different things in the States. I'm assuming the election is just a formality to give their government the appearance of some sort of democracy? Interesting...

Today another intriguing story appeared inBBC headlines. "Russia has formally suspended its participation in a key arms control agreement dating from the Cold War." What does this mean? "The suspension means Russia can move troops without notifying Nato.....the foreign ministry in Moscow said Russia had stopped exchanging information stipulated by the treaty and had stopped receiving foreign inspectors."

Is it just me? Or do stories like these raise a little concern for you, too?? I know I'll be following developments on these and other events in the region very closely!


Photo courtesy of: Russian Spy

Labels:

1 Comments:

At December 13, 2007 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Laura said...

You go girl. I love that you have come to love our heritage. You make me so proud to be your sister-in-law. Love Ya!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home