Friday, December 28, 2007

Must Read List



In a personal journal I have a list of books written down that I hope to read in my lifetime. I'm gradually whittling away at these spriritual classics and most recently received two of them for Christmas.

Confessions of St. Augustine, which I started devouring immediately, is a recounting of his quest for truth in the early years after the resurrection of Christ, around the year 386. Written in old english, it's refreshingly honest in a poetic way. He openly shares his struggles with sinful, rebellious tendencies which make this reading so easy for the modern day believer to relate to. This little power-house book is quoted as being "one of the most valued books in the whole of Christian literature."

The other book I received, As a Man Thinketh by James Allen is hailed as a "self-help classic" in which the author declares that we are what we think and that "positive thinking changes our circumstances in constructive ways, as surely as negative thinking brings us down." I've yet to start this pocket-sized volume, but am sure it will be of great inspiration as it has been for so many before me.

If you're curious about the rest of my "must-read" list I've added it below. Go ahead, pick a few for yourself!

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas å Kempis
Life Together by Deitrich Bonhoeffer
The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Andrew
The Little Flowers of St. Francis by Brother Ugolino
Table Talks by Martin Luther
Journal of John Wesley
Journal of George Fox
A Testament of Devotion by Thomas Kelly
Cost of Discipleship by Deitrich Bonhoeffer
Revelations of Divine Love by Juliana of Norwich
Introduction to the Devout Life by Francis de Sales
Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton

Labels:

1 Comments:

At December 30, 2007 at 6:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way too deep for me at the moment... I'm enjoying some Karen Kingsbury!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home