Thursday, October 4, 2007

Chicken Pot Pie


Today I'm making chicken pot pie to take to a friend and church staff wife who recently donated her kidney to her father. What an amaizing sacrifice, huh? Not the pot pie, the kidney donation! Dinner is the least I can do for this sweet family and their selfless mother.

This recipe is a staple for my convalescent visits as it's definitely a comfort food and certain to get eaten up. Since so many ask for the recipe I thought I'd pass it along to all my friends in cyberspace. I always make two pies, one to keep and one to give away as a wise woman once said "you should do at least for your own family what you do for another....don't fix a delicious gourmet meal to give away and then feed your own children and husband frozen pizza!"

So here's the approximate (I say approximate because I've never really measured, so adjust as you see fit) recipe. Unless your into all fresh/no frozen/ready made ingredients, I think you'll love the simplicity of it!

2 pkgs. ready made pie crusts (4 crusts in all)
1 roasted chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 pkg frozen hash browns, slightly thawed
1 pkg frozen mixed veggies (corn, green beans, peas, carrots), slightly thawed
1 small onion, diced
1 family size can cream of chicken soup (+ 1 small can of soup if needed)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 stick melted butter
2 tsp italian seasoning
salt & pepper to taste

In two pie plates, sprinkle a little flour on the bottom of pan. Place pie crust in each pan. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients in order until well mixed. Divide and pour into pie shells, spreading evenly. Place second pie shell on top of filling. PInch shell edges together around the pie and trim excess. Poke a few slices in pie crust top with a knife. Place pies on cookie sheet (it may bubble over) and bake at 400º for approximately 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown; place a piece of aluminum foil over top to keep from further browning. Cook an additional 20 to 25 minutes. Let sit a minute before cutting. Enjoy!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At October 5, 2007 at 9:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine is very similar except that I used the refrigerated potatoes that are usually by the eggs at Publix. I get the diced potatoes with onions and they work well. I have also made it with canned chicken breast in a pinch and no one seemed to notice!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home