Thursday, October 23, 2008


I just finished reading Henri J.M. Nouwen's little power house of a book, In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership. You won't find it in my sidebar under "On My Nightstand" because it's not a long enough book to place there (only 81 pages). It took just a couple of hours to read and that's with stopping and taking lots of notes!

But listen to me when I say it's the most intriguing little book I believe I've ever read! So simple, yet so profound!

I'll share with you the bottom line of the writing, but there's so much more to his story that you must read for yourself.

This print was published in 1989 and after Mr. Nouwen decided to leave his prestigious position in academia to begin a new life for himself. He felt called by God to move into a home for the mentally handicapped where he ministers as a priest to the people themselves and their assistants. His "Reflections on Christian Leadership" is a result of the many things he discovered while living in this community. Fascinating, I know!

The basis of his writing comes from two passages: Matthew 4:1-11, the temptation of Christ; and John 21:15-19, the commissioning of Peter to "feed my sheep." He compares the temptation of Jesus by satan to the following:

1)Turning bread into stones - temptation for relevance

2)Throwing yourself from the pinnacle of the temple, allowing angels to rescue Him - temptation to be spectacular (popularity)

3)Receiving rule of the world - temptation for power

He uncovers the fact that christian leaders in the ministry face these temptations as well. How should the christian leader of the future respond to the draw for such things? By getting back to basics...."feed my sheep," Christ told Peter. Nouwen calls this the "life of downward mobility," allowing God to lead us to places where we would rather not go. Becoming like Jesus through prayer, vulnerability and trust.

There's so much more in the book that fills in the blanks. It's convicting and, if implemented in the church today, could change the face of ministry as we know it! Pick up a copy for yourself. You won't regret it!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At October 23, 2008 at 11:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a must read for all of us ~ especially pastors leading the way!

 
At October 24, 2008 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Hey Bethany!
Laura told me to stop over and read this post...I'll be going out and getting this book, without a doubt! Thanks for the recommendation!

Lisa :)

 
At October 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Kushmama said...

So glad you stopped by, Lisa! I'd love to hear if you get any goosebumps during the read! I sure did!

Jody, I've decided to give this book as a gift for any graduate considering full-time ministry...yes, every pastor or ministry leader should read it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home