Monday, August 11, 2008

A Little More Prayer...


Sometimes I wonder if I'm cut out for dealing with all the heartwrenching issues that arise out of doing ministry at a large church. Not that smaller churches don't have their own share of difficulties, but just by nature of its size, a large church has more volume and often times they seem to come in rapid succession.

One of my dearest friends once told me I'm a "deep feeler". She went on to say that although I appear poker-faced most of the time, deep inside I'm processing through all the deep feelings I have about whatever circumstance I may find myself dealing with. That's the first time I think anyone has figured me out so perfectly! I'm not sure I even knew exactly what was going on in my heart until she verbalized it! So yes, I'm a very deep feeler, a processor, and with Belief #1 on my Strengthsfinder results, I very often find myself wrestling with caring so much about so many things! I never want to stop caring, but how do I find peace in the midst of so much hurt in this world?

Of course, I know the answer to that one...."Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:6-7) Easier said than done most times! If I'm going to be really honest here, most times I don't want to pray, I want to DO something! But God has been teaching me over the past couple of years to stop moving & doing so much and start praying more.

E.M. Bounds says, in his book "The Necessity of Prayer," that "it takes the whole man to pray till all the storms which agitate his soul are calmed to a great calm, till the stormy winds and waves cease as by a godlike spell. It takes the whole man to pray till cruel tyrants and unjust rulers are changed in their natures and lives, as well as in their governing qualities, or till they cease to rule. It requires the entire man in praying till high and proud and unspiritual ecclesiastics become gentle, lowly and religious, till godliness and gravity bear rule in church and in state, in home and in business, in public as well as in private life. It is man's business to pray...Prayer is far-reaching in its influence and in its gracious effects. It is intense and profound business which deals with God and his plans and purposes, and it takes whole-hearted men to do it. No half-hearted, half-brained, half-spirited effort will do for this serious, all-important, heavenly business."

I think that about says it, don't you? I'll be in my room praying...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At August 12, 2008 at 12:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Bethany, and it is probably the post I would like to write tonight if I only could lift my head long enough to write.

Oh the prayers that bind us, the ties that form us into a ocmmunity...

Believe it or not, I'm feeling your prayers tonight, too. And you may not even have directed them at me.

 
At August 12, 2008 at 7:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Friend. I am on my knees right beside you....Weezie

 
At August 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

knees...face...all good...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home