Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Plug for Tim Challies



I just finished reading an amazing book, "The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment" by Tim Challies, famed blogger and now author. I have a link in my sidebar to both his blog and his book. I thought I'd take the opportunity, not to review the book, but to share a bit of the impact it had on me, so here goes!

Throughout the book, Mr. Challies compares detecting counterfeit money to spiritual discernment. I guess in Canada they've actually instructed their citizens on the method of "touch, tilt, look at, look through" for a way of discerning counterfeit money. According to Challies, as in detecting counterfeit money, when we are faced with a doctrine or teaching it is our responsibility to examine it thoroughly before accepting it. Once we accept it we are responsible for it. There's no "free pass" for ignorance! Just as if you were to ignorantly try to pass off a counterfeit bill, you would not be above the law just because you didn't know--it's your responsibility to know. You would be prosecuted! I am liable for my words and teaching, I need to know what's true and what's false. I am to measure everything against God's word, the Bible, as John 17:17b says, "Your word is truth."

In order to have his readers start the book on common ground, the author breaks down the meaning of the word "discernment". Here's his definition: "The skill of understanding and applying God's Word with the purpose of separating truth from error and right from wrong." Spinning off of that definition, we realize that when we are practicing discernment we are basically "testing all things" (I Thess. 5:21, 22). But according to Matthew 7:1-5 Jesus tells us not to judge. These two verses seem to contradict, but we know that the Bible does not contradict. Challies goes on to clear things up by stating that according to the Bible there are times when we are allowed to and should judge and times when we are not allowed to and should not judge.

I love how he breaks this down! According the word of God the matters we are not to judge include motives, personal piety, and the conscience in matters where Scripture is silent. (1 Cor. 4:3-7; Rom. 14:1-4) The things we should judge/test include teaching, prophecy, spirits, leaders, other believers, the times, ourselves (Acts 17:11; 1 Thess. 5:20-21; 1 John 4:1; 1 Tim. 3:10; 2 Cor. 8:22; Luke 12:56). So concise and practical! I can easily apply this instruction as a church lay-leader.

The last thing I want to share that left a huge impact on me is in regards to prioritizing our efforts in discerning. This is a great and practical way to measure issues according to importance.

The breakdown comes from Albert Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He "proposes three levels of theological urgency" in discerning. First level issues include doctrines of the Trinity, atonement, the deity and humanity of Jesus Christ, justification by faith alone, and the authority of Scripture. To deny any of these is to deny the fundamentals of the Christian faith. These are non-negotiable!

Second level issues are "doctrines that believers may disagree on but which still represent important issues and will form significant boundaries between Christians." These are often the issues that define denominations. I need to decide which of my boundaries are unmovable and hold to my convictions unless the Spirit, not man, releases me from them.

Third level issues include those things that Believers may disagree over but still allow close fellowship, even attending the same church. In other words, we've all got our own opinions and ideas....we don't need to die on every hill! Let it go!

Basically, by using this format to prioritize, we are prevented being distracted by smaller issues and able to focus on the more foundational matters in question. It's a great way to simplify and focus. Or as our Pastor says, "Keep the main thing the main thing!"

This book is packed with meaty truth, so picking just a couple of items from it that impacted me was tough. I decided to land on the bits that were most practical. I would encourage you to get your hands on a copy of this powerhouse book and give it a whirl. It's not a quick read. It needs some time for digestion, but you'll be glad in the end that you took your time with it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home