Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Object of My Desire...


Okay, so I'm new to this whole EBay bidding thing, but in my very recent acquaintance with this popular internet "garage sale" conglomerate I have a theory on how this thing works. Those of you who have been doing this for awhile tell me if I'm that far off.

There's that special "something" that you've been craving for a long time, but have delayed purchasing in hopes of finding a better deal (remember, I'm a self-proclaimed cheapskate so I assume every one else is too!). You stumble upon the very object of your desire on EBay, who knew it!? And the starting bid is insanely low! Well, who can withstand the impulse? You resistantly place your first bid, feeling a bit giddy at the thought of obtaining the item so reasonably.

There! They've got their claws in you! Little by little they draw you in, pushing your bottom line a smidge higher by sending scattered emails informing you - "You're the high bidder!" and then, oh no...."You've been outbid!" Back and forth you go as you inch up to an amount near the articles' original purchase price. Add in the shipping and you've saved next to nothing!

How do they do it? I think the sellers have secret contract bidders to drive the price up to their calculated bottom line. They know once you start the bidding, especially if you're at all competitive, you won't stop until it's your's to claim!

So how far off am I? Or is this just another one of my conspiracy theories...they really are all out to get us, aren't they?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At July 18, 2007 at 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

very well put!! I wondered how long it would take you to get it....so, did you let them get their claws in you, or did you stand your ground?

 
At July 19, 2007 at 12:12 AM , Blogger Chris Goeppner said...

your not far off..there is a software you can get that will time the last few seconds of an item and you can set it to outbid the higgest at the last second. i think its cheating, but they do it. im a self proclaimed ebay junkie.

 
At July 19, 2007 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Kushmama said...

if I think someone is playing me, they won't get far...I let it go! yes, I'm proud of me too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home