Thursday, November 15, 2007

Anyone for a trip to Stuff Mart??



I think I'd have to say that my favorite christian band is, and has been for a couple of years, Sanctus Real. Their songs are so pertinent to today's issues, especially those which believers in particular struggle with. Some of my best-loved songs would be Deeds, I'm Not Alright, The Face of Love and Everything About You. Today though, as I was working out & singing along with my nano, the words to the particular song below hit me deeply once again.

Like Paul in Romans 7:15, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." My vice? Loving things I shouldn't. You know, like 'Madame Blueberry' at times, I want more stuff. A new pair of shoes, new carpet, new furnishings and decor for my house. It could go on and on until we're bursting at the seams with stuff! Then what? Have a yard sale to make money so I can replace those old things with new things. It's sick really!

My point is, I guess, that we all battle with loving things that don't matter in light of eternity. It could be tangible like me and Madame Blueberry or something intangible like fame and notoriety. Whatever it is, doesn't really matter. Jesus told us to "not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

The most touching line in the list of lyrics below, to me, is at the end. God takes care of all of nature. How much more important are we to him? He'll certainly take care of the essentials for us. We just need to stop filling our "God-shaped hole" with stuff and start filling it with Him! How much more satisfying would that be?

Things Like You

Loving things like you has wrecked my life, made me cry
Loving things like you has made me lose my mind
And I can't figure out why I've been hanging on
To all these things I've tried to leave behind me for so long

And I think it's time to find a better way to live my life
Than loving all those thingsthat keep me wrapped so tight

Everyone wants everyone else's eveything
Some time's the more we have the less we really gain
I'm tired of life and all that money has to buy
Get out of my heart, out of my mind, leaving you behind

Loving things like you has left me bruised, black and blue
Loving things like you has made me so confused
And I can't figure out what I've been waiting on
God I can't be living for things I know are wrong

Now I think it's time to write a better chapter in my life
Leaving all those things that keep me wrapped so tight

Why are we obsessed with possessions here on earth?
Go and take a look at the flowers and the birds
God is always taking care of nature's every need
And how much more important in The Father's eyes are we?
I said, how much more important in The Father's eyes are we?
He sees everything

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 18, 2007 at 5:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed to hear that....
Sometimes I need to ask myself if I have spent more time in the Word or in catalogs! I used to be able to avoid the trappings of stuff by avoiding stores, but I get inundated with catalogs this time of the year and it is so tempting to "window shop" and get to feeling sorry for myself instead of thankful for my many blessings! Thanks for the reminder, Bethany!

 
At November 19, 2007 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Kushmama said...

so glad i'm not in the boat alone and others can relate--makes me not feel so crazy! thanks for your continued encouragment, jody!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home