Monday, April 21, 2008

On My Nightstand...


You'll notice I changed the "What's on my nightstand" section, removing "The Winning Attitude" and replacing it with Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman, by Anne Ortlund. It's the latest on our list of reading for our Women's Leadership Training I'm co-leading at our church, Christ Fellowship. In addition to reading that book, I've started Chuck Swindoll's book on Elijah for the purpose of our "Tool Time" study on various biblical leaders. Of the two books, the latter is definitely my favorite!

"Disciplines" is not a bad book, but, in my opinion, it is quite old fashioned and could use updating. We pondered our options when we realized this book was worked in to the curriculum in our Women's Leadership Training. Should we skip it? Replace it with something more current? Well, in the end we obviously decided to keep it.

The principles are timeless, they are just packaged in a way that today's woman may not be able to relate very well. That's something we can work with! Also to the readers advantage is the fact that her style of writing is conversational which makes for an easy read. She touches on everything from quiet time, to your closet, making it very applicable to every woman's life. In the end I think we can have a lot of fun with some of the "horse-and-buggy" suggestions given throughout the short chapters.

So, if you choose to read it, I'd love to hear your opinions and any ideas for improvement you may have on some of the 70's-style advice! In exchange, I'll give you the lowdown on the overall outcome with our ladies!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home