Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Juggling


I've been homeschooling my three children for eight years now. I'm shocked at that number even as I type it, as I still feel like a novice! However, I am noticing that as more and more families are choosing to home school, more and more mom's are coming to me for advice. I guess in their eyes I would be considered semi-pro at this by now?! I sure don't feel I have much to offer, but as I consider their queries I am forced to reflect on what I've learned over the past several years.

Three things I know for sure must be assessed before committing to this responsibility: 1. Adding homeschooling is adding another ball to the mix of those in the air already...how many things can you juggle without dropping one? Does something else have to go? 2. It is an act of self-denial...am I willing to give up, without resentment, my job, shopping/having coffee with girlfriends, having a tidy house and any other number of things I enjoy? 3. It's a matter of perspective...you can't lose sight of the reason you're choosing to bring your children home. Every family has different reasons; decide what yours is and stick with it. When you get discouraged (and you will!), cling to your purpose without wavering.

So tonight I'll be gathering two groups of women for the purpose of creating a connection. The first group has just begun their home schooling journey. The second, has been at it for various numbers of years. Once you find out you're not alone in your quest to educate your children, you gain some assurance that it can be done and you have support. Two key realizations that can set you on your way to a successful homeschool adventure!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 11, 2007 at 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

semi-pro?? don't short change yourself! You, my friend, are a PRO!
your psl friend

 
At September 11, 2007 at 4:49 PM , Blogger Kushmama said...

I've only made it this far thanks to you, my dear friend and homeschool mentor:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home